Wednesday, February 17, 2010

IF: Book challenges

It makes me sad to realize how many book challenges revolve around material that portrays homosexuality in a positive or normal manner. My focus this quarter has been on GLBTQ friendly literature and issues and have tied projects for all three of my class into this theme.

It's hard for me to understand the mindset of these individuals, but at the same time I know that once I begin working as a librarian I will have to deal with their complaints in a respectful manner and will probably have to comply with carrying ex-gay or anti-homosexual books. This actually came up in my recent interview with the Garfield High School Gay/Straight Alliance. One of the ways they suggested that I make the library a more comfortable environment for GLBTQ youth was to show that intolerance isn't accepted. However, I had to tell them that, no matter how much I might disagree with what they have to say, I will have to carry opposing viewpoints since they have as much right to free speech as everyone else under the Constitution.

Jamie LaRue posted an amazing response to a complaint about a children's book that portrays homosexuality in a normal manner and I found it inspiring to, to say the least.

I'm not exactly sure where I was going with this post. I guess it's more of an acknowledgment that this is going to be a difficult thing for me to do. I hadn't really thought in a very real way before that I would have to defend the right of people to say hateful things in my work environment. But, I believe in the first amendment with all of my being and support everyone's right to access information whether I agree with it or not. I'm not looking forward to the day I have to address this issue but hope that I will be able to handle it as well as LaRue.

No comments:

Post a Comment