Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Book Review: When You Reach Me

When you reach me by Stead, Rebecca.
New York : Wendy Lamb Books, 2009.

I was introduced to this book by a number of classmates in my Storytelling Class last quarter. They all raved about what an amazing book it was, but I had a lot on my plate so it went under my radar until winter break. I then picked it up at audible.com read by Cynthia Holloway for bus listening since trying to read down the bumpy roads makes my tummy less than happy.

I LOVED this book. It's a great read for young adults and I'd go anywhere from a mature 8 or 9 year old (if being read to) to a mid teen or older on the group who would be interested in it. I especially recommend this book for kids who like A Wrinkle in Time as that book is referenced a number of times and When You Reach me has a very similar feel.

The plot is interesting and revolves around Miranda, a 6th grader who has recently parted ways with her best friend, Sal. She begins to receive mysterious notes from someone who claims to be coming to save her friend, but needs her help. On top of having to worry about a stranger who can somehow predict the future Miranda must learn about growing up, making new friends and seeing the world through the eyes of others.

In a time where teen fiction seems to be focusing on vampires and girls falling in love When You Reach Me is a refreshing break focusing on friendship and a different kind of fantastic.

Rating: ***** I would recommend this to anyone and will probably read it again

No comments:

Post a Comment