Monday, January 25, 2010

Book Review: The Color of Earth

The Color of Earth by Kim, Dong Hwa
New York : First Second, 2009

This book was assigned to me as part of my LIS 566 Young Adult Materials: Evaluation and Use readings. First, this book was a pain in the butt to find. I went to 5 book stores in my area and called a few more before giving up and driving over to the University Book Store. I'm going to request that my small, local bookstore order these for me since I'd prefer to give them my money, but may end up having to go through Amazon.

The Color of Earth is not a book that I would have picked up on my own accord, despite being a graphic novel, a genre that I know and love. However, I'm glad I did. The artwork is a combination of classical Korean landscapes and modern Japanese anime style artwork and is quite lovely, though not a style I generally seek out. The story is of a young girl, Ehwa, living with her widowed mother in rural Korea and follows her as she begins her journey towards womanhood, discovers love and begins to recognize her mother as an individual with her own wants and needs.

The main focus of this story is the relationship between Ehwa and her mother, and it is a beautiful thing. The story does not shy away from sex and sexuality but instead addresses it in a very honest yet poetic manner. The imagery used is lovely and approachable and the lack of shame and negative feelings makes me think that this would be an excellent book for young women approaching menarche. I also think that this is a good book for mother's of young girls to read as Ehwa's mother gives a good example how to approach a young woman's sexuality with grace not fear.

I give this book four stars only because I probably won't read it again. Though there is little real action the story is engaging (I read it in under 3 hours) and keeps you turning the pages. I can't wait to get the other two books to find out about the rest of Ehwa's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment